Wednesday 13 May 2015

Things Fall Apart Memoir

I lived in Umuofia for a very long time and to me, the Igbo culture is one of the strongest cultures. I have great pride in it and its values, customs and traditions. And it cause me great pain to have lived to see it fall apart; I never expected to see such a great culture reduced to such a dismal state. I knew the arrival of the Christians would not be for a good cause. And I was right, all they did was tear us apart. We were wrong to let them stay, they influenced our children and took them away from their culture. And what culture could stay strong when its own children do not agree with its teachings but with the teachings of a group they knew for only a short time. We could not even agree among ourselves, generations disagreed with each other. They used the education they had as a weapon against us, they tricked us with their religion. We should have fought harder from the beginning, had we not let them stay in our village this would have not happened. Instead, we have to deal with the consequences forever. It has all fallen apart, they were able to find every tiny crack in our society and use it to their advantage. I have seen it with my own eyes with Okwonko, he lost his son to the Christian school, and then he was reduced to nothing. He took his life as he saw how we lost control of our own culture. The Christians took total control, and now we are powerless in our land. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment